Tuesday, February 5, 2008

On the Job Training

Sitting too much in front of a computer screen is bad for you. That being said, life without the internet, while possibly more productive, is too isolating.
Winter should be cold, not mild. Cold is good for you, makes you feel alive when you step inside. Winter should not be mild. Once it starts getting mild, spring should be on the way.
If you are living in a country different from your origin, you have a responsibility to learn the language. If not, you are a sack of crap. Okay, if you're only there for a short while, I understand. But if you're stay is open-ended, pick up a book you P.O.S. Make an effort.
Hmmm, preachy.
Prague is a beautiful city. Europeans from further east, Ukranians, Slovaks, etc. come here for a better life, to make more money. I think they work in tourist shops and hot dog stands. We call the stuff they sell "street meat." The first time I heard that, I thought of prostitutes, but now it just sounds natural. Some Czechs head west to make more money. Mostly doctors, it seems. I headed east, from the USA. Lots of young Americans do. Like the vast majority, I teach English. There are so many, they have created their own expatriated community. If you want, you can come here and live without even getting your toes wet in Czech culture. It's bullshit, but people do it. I complain, but most of my friends are from my own country. Maybe I need to make more of an effort.
There is a lot of dog shit on the street. One time I stepped in some with both feet. I don't know how the hell that happened.
The public transportation here is fantastic. I can stumble out of a pub at 3am, find a tram stop within a few minutes, then after a quick look at the schedule know exactly where I need to go to get home. The metro shuts down at midnight, but tram lines blanket the city and they run all night. Love getting on public transporation and not having to think, just relax and let it take you where need to go. Eventually I'm going to buy a Prius.
Czechs make good beer. The traditional food is pretty good too. But the music is crap. I'm no snob. But it's something that just was never developed in this part of the world, I guess. Discos are bad too. Some are just bad, some are so bad, that they're fun.
Hit the ground running.

No comments: